Tyranny of Dragons
Lucius Valerian "Corvus"
Human Soldier Sailor *-Deceased-*
[[File:720668 | class=media-item-align-none | Corvus.jpg]]
Lucius Valerian (“Corvus”)
“I earned my retirement, gods dammit, but now he is marching (not sailing, mind you) off to some town or another. But what do they say, no debt is paid until it is paid thrice. Fine, have it your way for now, but as soon as we are done here I am quit. Hell I’m twice as quit this morning before I rolled these aching bones out of that bedroll (not a hammock, mind you). Dirtscratchers and landlubbers.”
Valerian has seen his fair share of death and glory aboard a number of vessels, but he also knows the drudgery of a still sea, the monotony of a galley oar, and the lash of the whip. He rose to the rank of 3rd mate for a time, but Valerian’s luck was to be bumped from ship to ship and up and down rank. Like many he was his own worst enemy, whether it was his tongue getting him into scraps, his mighty thirst tempting to have just one more or his temper preventing him from walking away, Valerian spent many a night and the next day in the brig. It was only his good luck, a smart weather eye, a quick boarding action, or other act above decks that made it impossible for his officers to cut him down too hard. But the years, scraps, bottles and feuds have taken their toll on Valerian. He was done, washed up and ready for a long, well deserved rest “helping” on his sister’s farm. But his sister’s son, Navin, well he might just have a bit too much of his uncle’s spirit.
- Personality Trait: I stretch the truth for the sake of a good story.
- Ideals: People: I’m committed to my crewmates, not to ideals. (Neutral)
- Bond: In a harbor town, I have a paramour whose eyes nearly stole me from the sea.
- Flaw: Once someone questions my courage, I never back down no matter how dangerous the situation.
Three Questions and Answers
- Zoltan and I served together aboard the Flying Wasp at the Battle of Parnaz. The smoke and the fire, the death and the destruction—there was no way I was going to get out alive, but if I did, then I was going to have a memento or three. Did Zoltan see me loot the bodies of our dead, our shipmates before casting them over the side? I never done that again and I never will, but I wonder.
- I owe Jon McGinnis a debt of honor, but even more importantly a debt of money. He caused Navin’s (nephew) gambling debts to be forgiven by the local loan shark and his knees to remain unbroken, but I had to come out of retirement this one last time to do this job. Just a little bit of help is all Jon needs. Fine. That little bastard, Navin, owes me big time. This Jon guy, seems different than before.
- The Cult of the Dragon? Yeah, I heard of them and don’t have any use for them. They stir crap up, trying to raise the undead dragons or something and it is the simple folk like us who have to clean it up. Power and glory, my ass. I just want to get this last job done so I can go home.